Monday, April 23, 2012

Vegetable Poached Eggs



Tonight's dinner is going to be Vegetable Poached Eggs, recipe adapted from here. I found that the recipe can be played with quite a bit. As long as the vegetables are plentiful enough for you to cook the eggs, you can vary them based on what you have on hand. The original recipe calls for zucchini and mushrooms, which my family won't eat. I have increased the amount of carrots and broccoli as a result. I serve with wheat English muffins on the side.

This is all part of my attempt to have Meatless Mondays, which doesn't always fall on Mondays, but does happen at least once a week. I have to be very particular in which meatless meals I can serve my husband--he doesn't do tofu.


Vegetable Poached Eggs

2 cups chopped broccoli
2 cups spinach
1 large onion, chopped
3 medium carrots, cut into julienne (matchstick) strips
¾ cup tomato sauce
¼ teaspoon pepper
8 eggs
¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Spray 12-inch skillet with cooking spray; heat skillet over medium heat. Add vegetables; cook 8 to 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
Stir in pasta sauce and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until thoroughly heated.
Make 3-inch holes in vegetable mixture, using large spoon. Crack 1 egg into each hole. Cover; cook about 5 minutes or until egg whites and yolks are firm, not runny. Sprinkle with cheese. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment